Wednesday, June 22nd
One of our goals for summer is to work on Ashley's greetings of waving and/or saying "hi" and "bye" so all team members are practicing when they arrive and when they leave. They get on her level so help get eye contact and say "bye Ashley!" while waving. We are not doing any more verbal or physical prompting because we want her to respond on her own and how she is feeling. Most times she will look at them and do quick wave. Today she also said "buh-bye" 2 different times and waved the therapists!
Our daughter gave me a good laugh today! She LOVES the pool and since summer break she has asked on her Ipad "I want swim" EVERYDAY and multiple times in a day. She doesn't accept no very easily so there have been lots of tantrums. However, today she asked on Ipad again when I was folding laundry. I told her to check her schedule. I then hear Velcro so I come in room to see she was able to reach binder and replaced event with pool! Now it's on her schedule today. Haha! Smart girl :)
I cannot even count how many times Ashley asked for "I want swim" on her Ipad and using sign language this past week. It resulted in many behaviors and meltdowns with self harm behavior when it wasn't on her schedule or if it was 6th event of day. This is one area where therapists are helping us with when Ashley needs to wait or needs to accept no. Having everyone around her being consistent in how they respond (no reaction) is what is helping so much and so thankful we have extra help in this area. Her tantrums are getting shorter which is great and it is not leading to full out meltdown!!!
Thursday, June 23rd
Today Becky (my wonderful mom) did a Session with Ashley and she worked really hard to prepare for it! The theme for the day was "Everything yellow". She brought a Strawberry shortcake book that focused on Lemon Meringue making lemon bars. While eating a few crackers, Becky was able to read her the book. After reading the book, they enjoyed eating a lemon bar. Becky wore a yellow hat, a yellow ribbon tied around her neck, brought lots of yellow toys in a bag, yellow flowers, printed handmade puzzles of Lemon Meringue character, scrabble letters to spell her name, made up a song about her name. Ashley enjoyed dumping out the yellow toys. At first she wasn’t too interested, but as Becky began sort of playing with them using 3 E's, she decided she wanted them in a special order. When Becky left for the day, she looked right at her, waved ,and said “ba – ba” for bye bye!
DANCE: We went to try a free Special Needs Dance class tonight and Ashley seemed to enjoy it! It was later at night and very close to bedtime so I could tell she was getting tired towards end. It was fun to see her following some of the instructions and she loved all the mirrors around too!
Friday, June 24th
In session today with me, we did Nemo theme using new pool toys of Nemo characters, books, goggles, magnifying glass and printed pictures. We matched pool toys them to her favorite book and I introduced a magnifying glass. It took her a while to notice it and I put it to my face first so my mouth would be larger, then did my eyes and nose. That got her attention and then I used magnifying glass on the Finding Nemo characters. Then she took the magnifiying glass and put it on images of her book. It was fun to see her understanding concept because she would move it closer and farther from the page.
Today she said spontaneously "ice" 4 different times when requesting ice and it was so great to hear her say it clearly and multiple times!
When we left for swim lessons she helped me carry the 3 towels to the car. She still managed to open her door, place towels in center seat and then she took the top towel and spread it out on her seat! :) I was so impressed! I always do this after swimming to keep seats from getting super wet so she noticed!
Saturday, June 25th
In Session today with me, we did Jake Pirate theme with play swords, eye patch, gold earing, Jake figurines, Pirate ship, and Jake books! She was not too interested in Jake theme at beginning so we put it to the side and had a snack first. Then she wanted to do Letter matching (lower case and upper case) at table which she did great at. She even put letters A-F in order along with saying letter "A" and "G"!! After she was ready to change activities and I took the green light to try Pirate theme again. She had no interest in sword fighting but she was looking at my eye patch and earing. I asked if she wanted to wear them and she let me put them on her. Ashley walked over to the mirror and it was cute to see her admiring how it looked on her! After she wanted to take the eye patch off but she kept the earing on so I tried to build by getting more play jewelry down. I could see her mind turning and then she pulled my hand over to the shelf and said "bow" for boat. We got the boat down and she put each piece of jewelry into the boat but first the piece had to touch her pink necklace first. It became an "ism" because it was repetitious and exclusive so I started joining her and grabbed a different necklace. She let me join her with a few earrings and the pushed my hand away. I put a few earrings on my ears so later I might be able to get her looking at me which did work! :) I think this might be from Pirate Fairy movie which has the Pirate ship and she is putting all of her treasure onto her boat!
Sunday, June 26th
In session with Miranda, Ashley got to do makeup, jewelry, and face painting! She watched Miranda do face paint on doll and then let Miranda do a little on her checks! She also enjoyed watching Miranda use nets to catch jewelry and the brain flakes. She did answer one of Miranda's question with "no" and head shake.
We went to the pool as a family and one time Ashley came up to find me since I was staying close to Noah. She started laughing and making great eye contact! She then used her hand to turn my head to side so she was looking at my profile. I would wait 2 seconds and look at her in surprise. She just thought it was so funny! We played that game for probably 8 rounds! She left the pool again without any whining which was so nice!!!
Monday, June 27th
This morning she had a great time with Sascha on a neighborhood walk, playing with bubbles, water balloons, swing, and a trip to HEB!
This afternoon Ashley had to get her routine blood work done and she did so great! I took her out on a date afterwards while Noah got to stay home playing with Papa! I took her to Menchies frozen yogurt and we have never taken her to a place like this because of the buffet of candy so I wasn't sure how it would go. She got a cup and then I showed her how to pull the lever down so yogurt would come out. Then we went over to the candy and I told her she could pick 1 topping. She was looking at all of them a little overwhelmed so I encouraged her to go for Butterfinger. She got 1 scoop and was okay with that! Then we got a small pump of chocolate syrup and she enjoyed pushing down the pump. Once she was done, she put bowl into trash and left in great mood! I was so relieved and so thankful these therapists are helping us do more public outings with her!!!
Tuesday, June 28th
This morning we went for a walk but today I tried to switch it up a little. We went out the front door and there was no bike for Noah since it is really hard to steer. She did okay with the change and she picked the direction we went. I asked if they wanted to hold hands while walking and they ended up holding hands the ENTIRE walk which was surprising! They also gave each other a high five at end of walk too!
Ashley had a great day today with great eye contact and lots of vocals! She said "hi" to therapist and spontaneous "bye" to me when I was leaving! Her therapist took her out on some public outings and Ashley stayed with her and no whining! I am so thankful they are practicing outings with her! One outing today was to Petsmart and last time I took Ashley there about 6 months ago she wanted to run through the aisles and put her hands in the fish tanks. It was super stressful so I never took her back. She did great today and listened so well! She enjoyed watching the fish and birds so that is like a free zoo trip! :) We also had to get a bone scan done of her hand and her shot this afternoon. She did amazing at waiting and listening to doctors instructions! I was so proud of her!!!









What a wonderful week with this precious girl. Your hard work & perseverance is reaping huge benefits! I love reading all this!!
ReplyDelete