Tonight my heart melted and I had happy tears! My relationship has already changed so much with Ashley since we have started this program. She now seeks me out to play with her and wants to interact with me. How frustrating and discouraging it used to be sitting next to her and trying to play with her. She would be in her own world and would not allow you to touch any of her toys or get too close. If you requested "my turn" she might give you the toy but it was a demand... "Joining" has now given us a new way to enter her world and to really start interacting with us.
Here is one example from tonight. I had just washed a zucchini and squash so that I could cut into slices for stir-fry. (We have this almost every night and now offer it to Ashley but do not force or offer rewards). Ashley came over to counter and grabbed the zucchini. My old instinct would have been to get it back quickly and get on with my task. However, I remembered the Son-Rise technique of making new foods "fun" by playing with them. Ashley took the lead by standing the zucchini up and had it dancing while she sang the Veggie Tales trumpet sounds. I joined in with her and we had some laughs! Then I asked if she wanted to help me cut up the vegetables. She grabbed the butter knife and started on her own! It was one of those amazing moments where I have always wanted a child to help me in the kitchen and I got that first glimpse tonight. I stood behind her and helped her slice both since she needed extra push on the knife. She was so proud of herself afterwards!

This is so great!! Look at the determination on her face! What a victory for Mom too!
ReplyDeletePrecious! Continued prayers for progress & healing!!
ReplyDeletePraise the Lord for your precious family!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing that huge step!
ReplyDeleteAmazing and She's worked up as I can tell through her face.
ReplyDelete